World Sepsis Day in on the 13th September 2019.
World Sepsis Day is a Global Sepsis Alliance initiative that started in 2012 and occurs every year on September 13th with events held all over the world to raise awareness about sepsis.
World Sepsis Day is important because it is an opportunity for people worldwide to unite in the fight against sepsis which accounts for at least 8 million deaths worldwide annually. Yet, depending on the country and education, sepsis is known only to 7 – 50 % of the people.
It is also poorly known that sepsis can be prevented by vaccination and that early recognition and treatment reduces sepsis mortality by 50 %.
This lack of knowledge makes sepsis the number one preventable cause of death worldwide.
In partnership with the NSW Clinical Excellence Commission, QLD Clinical Excellence Commission and QLD Statewide Paediatric Sepsis Network we are working on ideas and resources for you to host a World Sepsis Day event to raise sepsis awareness.
Why not use social media to:
- Embed the “What Is Sepsis? – sepsis explained in 3 minutes”-video on your website and or share it on your social media platform
- Share WSD Infographics on your Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram page with a post mentioning @WorldSepsisDay
- Tweet about or at World Sepsis Day, using the hashtag #WorldSepsisDay, #StopSepsis, or #SaveLives
- Add a WSD Frame to your profile picture on Facebook – go to your Facebook profile, click on your profile picture, click on add frame, and search for World Sepsis Day
- Add a pink banner or a button to your website or set up a landing page informing your visitors about WSD
- Add ‘September 13 is World Sepsis Day – Stop Sepsis, Save Lives’ to your email signature
- Change the wallpaper of the computers within your institution to one of our WSD Wallpapers
- Organize a Twitter chat, a webinar, a Reddit AMA, a Facebook Live, or a Periscope
- Share the link to the Global Sepsis Alliance GSA WSD Toolkit (www.worldsepsisday.org/toolkits) with your colleagues or friends, encouraging them to join the campaign
Why not host an event?
- Participate in our World Sepsis Day webinar being hosted by the Australian Sepsis Network at 1400 hrs (AEST) on Friday 13 September 2019 – further details will be provided here.
- Set up sepsis awareness stalls with sepsis quizzes and sepsis information in the entrance area of your institution/hospital
- Organise education sessions or a local symposium on sepsis and pair with an afternoon tea
- Show the “What Is Sepsis? – sepsis explained in 3 minutes”-video at your event or embed it on your organisations website
Use the great resources provided to support planning for and host your event including posters, banners, stickers, flyers, presentation templates and more provided by the:
- NSW Clinical Excellence Commission ‘Sepsis Kills’ Program at Sepsis Kills WSD resources
- Global Sepsis Alliance World Sepsis Day GSA WSD toolkit
See our Faces of Sepsis to watch real stories to better understand the devastating impact of sepsis and meet some of the champions of survival.